If you are a water sports enthusiast seeking the best boat trip, consider wakesurfing. It offers an opportunity to enjoy the endless waves created by a powerful boat for surfing and the undeniable style that goes with them without being tethered, giving you a sense of freedom. You will need the best wakesurf boat to achieve that. In this article, we will unveil six must-visit destinations for a wakesurfing boat trip. Let’s get started.
Lake Powell, Utah/Arizona
Lake Powell is a mesmerizing man-made reservoir renowned for its stunning scenery and sparkling clear water. It is located in Southern Utah and stretches to Northern Arizona. Free your inner adventurer by wakesurfing past towering sandstone cliffs and exploring the hidden nooks of this lake.
This lake offers the best wakesurf boat trip for adults, teenagers, and children. However, for teenagers and preschoolers to enjoy this activity, you need to keep your boat at a slow speed or hire an expert instructor to take you through higher-wake surfing-velocity waves that will feel like the power of the ocean.
Apart from wake surfing, you can relish other outdoor activities such as:
- Paddle boating
The best season to visit Lake Powel typically depends on your activity. For wakeboard surfing, tour the lake during the summer (June to August), when the water is warm and the sunset is breathtaking.
Lake Tahoe, California/Nevada
Whether you’re a new or a seasoned surfer, Lake Tahoe is the best place for you. With some of the most crystal-clear waters surrounded by stunning mountain peaks covered by pine trees, Tahoe provides the perfect backdrop for this thriving activity. Its smooth waters and warm temperatures make it an ideal destination for wakesurfing, with enthusiasts flocking to the lake to test their skills and enjoy the excitement of this unique sport.
Lake Tahoe is located in the Sierra Nevada, between Nevada and California. The ideal time to visit Lake Tahoe is during the summer, starting in late May or early June, especially in the morning. However, due to freezing water temperatures, prepare yourself with proper gear and safety equipment while taking your adventure to the lake.
Below are some other water sports activities in Lake Tahoe:
- Jet Skiing
- Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Lake Austin, Texas
When you think about Austin, it’s all about the nightlife and exciting downtown experience. Its picturesque landscape features greenery, vegetation, and beautiful waterfront properties. Below are some reasons that make it the ultimate destination for surfers.
- Steady water levels: The lake maintains a constant water level by releasing water from Lake Travis upstream to ensure consistent and comfortable surfing.
- Low boat traffic: Lake Austin experiences less boat traffic since all the lake’s shorelines are privately owned, so water activities are limited. This provides surfers with an uninterrupted and safer ride.
- Scenic surroundings: Its fabulous limestone cliffs that hug the shoreline of the lake act as a windbreaker, making it the best place for water sports activities.
- Ideal season: The best time to tour Lake Austin is in the spring (March–May) and summer (September–October).
Lake Michigan is bordered by four states: Michigan (east and north), Wisconsin (west), Illinois (southwest), and Indiana (Southeast). Due to its location, the best place to surf depends on the type of wind blowing at that particular place. For example, during spring and fall, the north and west winds create sizable waves in Southwest Michigan that surfers need.
Below are some aspects that make Lake Michigan the best destination for wake surfing:
- Ideal wake surfing conditions: Being the fifth largest lake in the world, Lake Michigan offers expansive open waters, providing surfers ample space to relish the sport without feeling crowded.
- Stunning beauty: Wake surfers can enjoy breathtaking scenery such as sandy beaches, picturesque landscapes, and towing dunes along the shores of the lake while riding the waves.
- Watersport-friendly culture: The coastal town around the lake offers rental shops, boat chatters, and training facilities specific to professional and new wakesurfing adventures. Additionally, you can enjoy the breathtaking view of the harbor while dishing up comfort food.
- Best season: During the hot summer, the aqua-blue lake cools, making it more favorable for wakesurfing.
Lake Havasu, Arizona/California
The Parker Dam along the Colorado River forms a large reservoir, Lake Havasu, stretching the border between California and Arizona. If you are planning a boat trip for your vacation, try your hand at wakesurfing along the shorelines of Lake Havasu. From cove hopping to blazing through the aqua-blue waters, in whichever case floats your boat.
Let’s examine aspects that make it a must-visit destination for wakesurfing:
- Expansive water surface: Lake Havasu, one of the largest man-made lakes in the United States, provides a wide surface area where surfers can ride comfortably and smoothly without feeling overcrowded.
- Scenic beauty: The surrounding desert mountains, canyon scenery, sandy swimming beaches, and Landon Bridge, play an essential role in wake surfing adventures.
- Wakesurfing community and cuisine: Whether you are a pro surfer or a beginner, taking a tour of Lake Havasu will guarantee you an opportunity to meet experts who will train and share a passion for this exhilarating watersport.
- Ideal climate: Arizona and California experience warm desert climates annually, making them the best destinations for wakesurfing enthusiasts to visit throughout the year. However, for a budget-friendly trip, you can plan your boat trip in September, when flights, accommodations, and surfing equipment are cheaper.
Miami Beach, Southern Florida
Miami Beach, known for its sunny weather and water sports activities, is located in southern Florida. Wakesurfing is among the fastest marine sports in Southern Florida. It is heaven for those seeking an adrenaline-pumping ride on the waves.
Factors that make Miami Beach a must-visit destination for wakesurfers:
- Environment: Plenty of water, a stunning coastline, and the palm trees surrounding the beach offer the perfect setting for surfers to venture.
- Wakesurfing community and facility: Miami has many watersport communities, including outfitters, experts, competitors, and experienced instructors who offer proper methods and safety for beginners to enjoy the wakesurfing waves.
- Large water bodies: Its extensive coastline with numerous bays, canals, and waterways gives surfers ample time to explore and relish diverse locations without feeling overcrowded.
- Ideal climate and weather conditions: Miami Beach experiences a warm and sunny climate throughout the year, creating a conducive situation for surfers to hit the waters comfortably and smoothly.
These destinations mentioned in this article will never disappoint. Even if you are a professional or a new rider, this watersport offers an opportunity to explore nature and get a top-notch experience, leaving you with thrilling memories. So, book your ticket and get ready to land at one of these destinations.