The Anchors of Tavira Island at Algarve, Portugal
For centuries the tuna industry flourished in Algarve, Portugal. When fishermen flocked to the coast of Portugal, the tuna population became threatened over time until it was no longer profitable to fish for tuna. The ships are long gone, however the anchors were left behind.
Generations ago the anchors were staggered neatly as you see them today. Nobody knows who did the staggering and when.
The locals call it the Cemitério das Âncoras (cemetery of anchors) and since no official record was made of the anchors source, all we know is what has been passed down from generation to generation.
Comparatively there isn’t much mystery behind the anchors as we know they were placed there by fishermen over time – we just don’t know when or specifically who arranged them in that manner. In fact most recently, there were discussions to clean up the anchors from the beach.
What do you think? Eyesore or cultural history?
(Click thumbnails to enlarge)
See it on a map here
(Images via WebUrbanist & Artificial Owl)
Top Posts & Pages
- Over 200 Dead Bodies on Mount Everest
- Derinkuyu & The Underground Cities of Cappadocia
- Buried from the public: Hart Island, New York
- Largest Abandoned Factory in the World: The Packard Factory, Detroit
- Concrete Arrows and the U.S. Airmail Beacon System
- World’s Largest Super Collider: Abandoned
- Abandoned Kaua'i Jewel: The Coco Palms
- World's Largest Old Car Junkyard: Old Car City U.S.A.
- One million are in this cemetery buried from the public in New York wp.me/p1EJ0V-2Vm #NewYorkCity #HartIsland http://t.co/dNFfZapk60// 7 hours ago
- Marble Hill was the most expensive #nuclear project in state history...& was abandoned in 1984 wp.me/p1EJ0V-2T7 http://t.co/upsFIj0SGi// 1 week ago
- The abandoned domes of #Naples, Florida, were once a cutting-edge & eco-friendly #DomeHome wp.me/p1EJ0V-2Td http://t.co/tleiXNDa0g// 3 weeks ago
- 100th post! A fire destroyed this U.K. Victorian manor over 75 years ago: wp.me/p1EJ0V-2mG #Witley http://t.co/ZtkgG6yOBF// 1 month ago