About these ads
Home > Abandoned - Explained, Creepy, Explained, Maritime, Pacific > Abandoned Cruise Ship: The World Discoverer

Abandoned Cruise Ship: The World Discoverer

Hidden in a remote bay of the Solomon Islands, the beached wreck of the German-built Liberian Cruise ship World Discoverer slowly rusts. Built in 1974, it served multiple owners faithfully for over 25 years. In April of 2000, the ship struck an uncharted reef formation just off the Solomon Islands in the Pacific Ocean. The captain radioed for assistance, and before long all passengers were shuttled off the World Discoverer by local ferries.

Captain Oliver Kruess managed to nurse the ship into nearby Roderick Bay where she began to list until settling into her final resting place, where she still sits today.

(Click thumbnails to enlarge)

Any attempts at repair or salvage were abandoned after the locals had looted anything of value from the vessel; the cost of making her seaworthy again would have been prohibitive. As a result, she was left to sit and rust away, now a tourist and photography destination.

Will she meet the same fate as the S.S. America? Based on the time-lapse photos we now have, it would appear so – although at a much slower pace of decay than the America.

2000:

2010:

See the World Discoverer via Satellite image! click here

About these ads
  1. prssnprss
    August 18, 2011 at 22:08

That’s an apocalyptic picture with the 4 kids looking at the wreck!

2. Jalia
    September 3, 2011 at 22:50

I really wish there were more articles like this on the web.

3. Billybob
    September 5, 2011 at 09:04

Your article perfectly shows what I ndeeed to know, thanks!

4. king_hil
    September 25, 2011 at 12:18

a little eerie…

5. December 8, 2011 at 11:54

That’s a shame. She was a nice looking ship, from what I see in the pictures.

6. March 17, 2012 at 21:08

So much for a waterfront view for those guys!

7. Jacqueline Hodel, Switzerland
    November 11, 2012 at 05:12

The “old” World Discoverer WAS a very beautiful “little” ship. I was travelling in december 1998 with this little Lady to Antarctica. At this time Captain Lampe (Oliver Krüss was First Officer and in 1999 he overtook as Captain this ship) was on board for his very last trip.
    As I heard from this desaster in a bay of Solomon Islands I was shocked and very upset about the abandonance of this lovely ship. As I made my second trip with Cpt. Oliver Krüss on the “new” World Discoverer, up the Bering Straight to Arctica I talked with him about the first World Discoverer. To me he seemed very upset and told me the whole story. He is a very brave man who tried his best to save his ship and certainly all passengers. Unfortunately my third trip (from Guam to Kushiro) with him and the World Discoverer was the last one, as Society Expeditions, who owned the ship could not hold it anymore. I remember with great pleasure to these trips and especially to Captain Krüss with his great sence of humor and his knowledge of nature and creatures as well. I spend many, many hours on the bridge were I could learn a lot about nature, wales and all other animals we have been seeing.
    Unfortunately I do not know on which ship Captain Krüss is shipping now. If anybody can get me informations, please do not hesitate to contact me: jackie_hodel@yahoo.de – Subject: “Oliver Krüss”. Thanks in advance.
    Jackie

8. Benny McCauley
    August 1, 2013 at 14:10

Spot on with this write-up, I absolutely think this web
    site needs a great deal more attention. Thanks for the info!

1. September 22, 2013 at 10:01
  2. September 22, 2013 at 16:00
  3. September 27, 2013 at 07:38

Join the discussion!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,416 other followers